Sunday, October 3, 2010

San Jeronimo or the Virgin or something...

While we were in Florida, we missed out on Leon's big festival of the year - the celebration of La Virgen de la Merced, Leon's patron saint... or patron virgin I guess? Sort of like a guardian angel. La Patrona de Leon, in Spanish. Hmm. Well the truth is I don't know too much about it since we weren't here.

But September was a big month for Leon, with the national fiestas on September 14 and 15, and La Virgen de la Merced on September 24, and various other saint and Virgin Mary days that had me waking up at dawn to the sound of firecrackers and hearing marching bands drum by my door every other day.

The day we got back was San Jeronimo, which looked really fun in the pictures I saw afterwards - something involving people dressed up as crazy colorful bulls in the street and drag queens? I asked Elder to explain this festival to me, but he just sort of shrugged his shoulders. He's definitely not an anthropologist. Oh well. He says he's never really paid much attention to these primarily Catholic festivities, preferring to roll his eyes and mutter "esos Católicos" (those Catholics) as they make their noise. Guess I'll have to figure it out from other sources.

So I'm afraid this post won't be too educational. But I do have a photo and video to share with you. A couple days ago, we heard a parade going by and headed out thinking it was more San Jeronimo celebrations, but it turned out to be the Virgin Mary (shows what we know). San Jeronimo had already passed by in the morning, we were informed. I don't know what this parade was for, but here's a photo of the lovely Virgin float being carried on the shoulders of the devoted.



And a video showcasing the swaying of the float and the brassiness of the marching band:

1 comment:

  1. there always seems to be a festival going on in Leon.. but drag queens and colorful bulls?? you can't miss this one next year.

    ReplyDelete