On Sunday, Elder and I joined Gloria and her family at their farm (named Finca Nica-something, can't remember the full name which is in Nahuatl) outside of Leon, along with five of her best English students. These are the neighborhood kids to whom she has been teaching English for almost two years now. You may remember that I had joined them in the past to teach them some good old children's songs like the ABC song.
This farm visit was a reward for them and their good progress with English, and the day was supposed to be Total English Immersion. Of course, they slipped into Spanish on occasion, but overall I was very impressed with these 10-12 year old children and their dedication to English.
In addition to immersing themselves in English, they were most excited to immerse themselves in the cool water of the river running through Gloria & Fernando's farm. They took turns running and jumping into the water with great enthusiasm, announcing "For you!" to us adults before leaping off the riverbank.
Gloria with her beloved grandson, Lucas Amaury
There was also horseback riding, hammock-laying, soccer, lunch, a guitar sing-along, and last but not least - a watermelon seed spitting contest! I introduced this fabulous tradition to the group, and Gloria was immediately taken with the idea and lined the kids up to play. I went first to show them how it's done. And I almost won, but 12-year-old Yuder (the one in the hat) beat me in the final spit-off.
More photos of our fabulous day at Finca Nica-something:
Looks AMAZING!
ReplyDelete