Well, ShrimpFest 2012 Round II finally came this weekend. I know you've all been anxiously awaiting it, just as much as we have. This time it was with Brooke & Jordan and a few other friends gathered at their house. We brought over our second 5-lb box of shrimp in the early afternoon, and set to work defrosting and deveining it (below: Elder & Jordan hard at work).
As promised (to myself), I had gotten a recipe (of sorts) for Ecuadorian ceviche from my good friend Ligia in Ecuador. The only thing is the recipe had been given to me very quickly over Facebook chat and was rather vague, with no amounts or times, or any specifics really. But I decided to give it a go anyways and try to figure it out! I was really hankering for some good Ecua-ceviche.
As I worked on it in Brooke the Cook's kitchen, I felt a bit nervous and confused. I didn't really know what I was doing, or how this was going to turn out. I was prepared for the worst, that it was going to turn out horrible and I would be embarrassed in front of this whole party of foodies. But I am happy to report that it turned out great! I think I did Ligia proud, though I'm sure it wasn't quite like hers.
We also had shrimp cocktail and a whole bunch of fried shrimp tempura with yummy sauces. Five pounds of shrimp eaten among 9 people - that's over half a pound of shrimp each. And that's not to mention all the other good food - guacamole and bean dip with chips, and fried pelibuey (a local species of goat) meat prepared by Jordan that turned out surprisingly tender and delicious. Mmmm...
No comments:
Post a Comment