Sunday, March 21, 2010

El Bus Pelon

El Bus Pelon (translation: the Bald Bus) is a special Leonese institution. As soon as I saw it making the rounds of the city, I knew I had to take a ride. I was as eager as a child to climb up the well-worn stairs and sit on its old, tattered seats previously occupied by American schoolchildren.

In a former life, you see, the Bus Pelon was a yellow school bus from the United States. But it got a little worn down and was no longer wanted up North. So it wound its way down here to Central America, where it was warmly welcomed and reincarnated.

Its top was stripped off so riders could enjoy the open air. The yellow and black school bus colors were painted over with white and blue and decorated with Leon’s iconic images – a lion, the cathedral, the beach.

And the Bus Pelon was born.

Now the bus enjoys a clientele distinctly different from the American schoolchildren who used to ride it, perhaps reluctantly, finishing up their homework, to class. People in Leon line up and pay their hard-earned córdobas to take a ride on the Bus Pelon, which blasts festive Latin music as it winds its way around the city giving its riders a night-time tour of Leon. On Valentine’s Day, the line was so long that it wound around the plaza with couples waiting to enjoy a romantic evening excursion.

A few weeks ago, Elder and I finally had the opportunity to take a ride, and I enjoyed every moment of it. ¡Que viva el Bus Pelon!





1 comment: