In Quito, I got to reunite with Yolanda and her son Fernando, who hosted me for my first month in Quito back in 1998. Yolanda looks exactly the same and is exactly the same sweet, enthusiastic person she always was. Fernando looks a little different, though. A few feet taller and a much deeper voice, but he actually kind of looks just like a bigger version of the 12-year-old kid I knew. And is equally sweet.
I also got to visit with Ligia in Quito. I told her that now her name Ligia is extra-special to me, because in addition to having a good friend in Ecuador with that name (her lovely self), Elder and I have a good friend here in Nicaragua with that name, and she was the co-officiant at our wedding. Ligia's kids Geona and Jenaro also looked different from when I last saw them... much more different than Fernando did. They were just little tykes then, and now they're teenagers! But they are beautiful, and seemed like really good kids.
And in addition to seeing old friends, I got to meet some new ones - ones who hadn't existed when I was last in Ecuador.
Up in Ibarra, I finally got to meet my "tocaya" (namesake), 5-year-old Abigail, the daughter of my friend Fernando.
I also met their other little baby girl, Isabela. That's her with her mom, Ibeth, and Amy W. below.
Fernando and I even got together to play music again, just like old times... and we put together a little performance at Cafe Arte... just like old times!
And finally in Otavalo, I reunited with the wonderful Cifuentes family, who are like my Ecuadorian family. Love them so much! And they also had some new little members I got to meet.
And of course some gorgeous scenery of beautiful Ecuador. Snow-capped Cotacachi:
No comments:
Post a Comment