Saturday, September 10, 2011

Punched in the gut

As I deal with the news about my mother, I find myself wanting to share it with others yet reluctant to pass on such heaviness. It seems many of us have felt it similarly. A punch in the gut. Took my breath away. Heart stopped.

That's how I felt. And I feel bad passing on that feeling. Why should I make others suffer too, and feel my pain? Everyone has their own issues to deal with; I don't want to make them carry my burden too.

And each time I pass on the news, I relive that punch in the gut as another person feels the impact of it. I get just a little bit nervous anticipating their reaction, wondering if maybe I should spare them the hardest part. If I have to tell the news in person, I find my voice becoming pinched and pipsqueaky as I watch the other person's eyes become liquid and brimming as they look upon me with a new-found sympathy which just makes my heart pound more and my voice become more choked as I make an ever more concerted effort not to tear up.

I think it also makes the news more real with each additional person I tell, as if their knowing it means that I now truly have to accept it.

Yet at the same time, I want my friends to know. I want to feel their sympathy, feel surrounded by their love. I already do and it makes me cry, but they are tears of love and appreciation and overflowing blessings amidst sorrow.

And I know that my friends would want to know. That's what friends are for anyway, isn't it? To share that punch in the gut amongst us all. To try and take a little of the pain out of that punch. And maybe after so much gut-punching, it will start to hurt just a little less.

1 comment:

  1. yes, friends are to share the good and the hard. we are all here for you through both, as you have been for us. we all love you very much and will support you. xox.

    ReplyDelete